What is Lawn Fabric?
- The lawn fabric is fine sheet, lightweight, crisp fabric it is made of cotton or linen.
- Different types of finishes are given to this fabric, in which the fabric is called by the name of the finish. It is mainly used as lining in a dress.
- It feels very comfortable in hot weather.
- The name “lawn cloth” comes from the French city of Laon, which was where this textile was first woven.
- At first, lawn cloth was primarily made with linen, which was more abundant in Europe at the time.
- As cotton imports from India became more commonplace, however, weavers of lawn cloth gradually made the shift to this alternative textile material.
- At the same time that Indian cotton was making its way into France, French lawn cloth was also making its way into India.
- Indian weavers started making this lightweight cloth into traditional salwar kameez suits, which are also known as “lawn suits” due to their incorporation of the European lawn cloth weave
- It is a lightweight, crisp fabric.
- It is relatively sheer and opaque cloth.
- It has sheer and opaque property.
Application and uses
- Lawn cloth commonly is used for infant wear, handkerchiefs. dresses, blouses, aprons and curtains.
- Other uses are nightwear, underwear, lingerie, collar cuffs and shirting.