What is Muga Silk?
'Muga’ means yellowish in Assamese. Muga silk is known as the rarest silk from assam. It is organic fabric and has the strongest natural fiber made from semi-cultivated silkworm named Antheraea assamensis
- During 1228-1828 reign of the Ahom rulers the cultivation and weaving of Muga Silk was started.
- As industry Ahom rulers patronized the growth of Muga Silk.
- All the upper class people and higher officials of kingdom adore the Muga silk fabric.
What Makes it Stand Out
- Muga silk is totally golden yellow in color among other silk fabrics and the uniqueness of this fabric is that its golden lustre increase with age.
- Major characteristic of of Muga Silk is its longevity.
Application & Usage
It is used in making hats, caps, scarf’s, wraps, stoles, quilts, bridal wear, upholstery, sarees and kurtas.
How to Judge the Authenticity of Muga Silk
- Burn Test
- Microscopic Test
- Chemical Test
Care Instructions of Muga Silk
- Dry clean the Muga silk fabric.
- If washing than wash the fabric in cold water and add mild detergent.