What is Casement?
- Casement fabric is generaly made up of light weight cotton fabric and plain weave , closely packed with thick warp yarns and is slightly heavier than cotton.
- The fibers of this fabric are significantly thick and have a large diameter.
Image Reference - https://www.threadshop.in/categories/casement/305785000000184041
- Sample length of Goodall-Sanford Inc., 'Casement cloth' fabric; in light gray. 1951.
- This blend of cotton and mohair was said by the manufacturer to provide "richly simple, dust shedding, casement curtains".
- Casement curtains, also known as 'glass curtains' were used under draperies or on their own to let in light while providing privacy.
What Makes it Stand Out?
- It is a popular light weight , plain weaved and semi sheer fabric .
- It has a low count fabric consisting of carded yarns.
- Absorbs sound due to its thick weave .Need not worry of sound penetrating curtains .
- Wide range of colors .
- Rustic look.
|Texture||Light weight & smooth|
|Sheer||Slight sheer - Opaque|
Application and Uses
- It is perfect application for backing for heavy drapery and backdrops making it best for curtains.
- Apart from curtains , also used for table linen, upholstery and mats.
Image Reference - https://www.ajio.com/story-home-checked-rich-window-curtain/p/461377671_beige
- It's a highly durable fabric that doesn’t require much cleaning, caution during use, and a lot of attention.
- Occasionally cleaning is enough .
- Though it will survive excessive washing and harsh detergents, it is advised that you wash this fabric either with hands or in a gentle machine wash.
- Make sure you are air drying it.