What is Kataan Silk?Kataan silk fabric is made by twisting various pure silk filament that makes it sturdy and durable. It is handwoven using silk warp and weft. Kataan is luxurious and extremely versatile fabric.
Types of Kataan Fabric:
1. Kataan Brocade: made with gold buttis and crosswise threads.
2. Kataan Butidar : made with only gold buttis on a fabric and with mixed fabrics.
3. Katan Butidar Paga : made with crosswise threads on a loom and gold butti work.
- The origin of kataan fabric goes back to Persia and women from Mughal Empire wear luxurious designed clothes using Kataan Silk fabric.
- Nur Jahan Begum always resembled for designing and popularizing new fashion and design using Kataan Silk fabric.
What Makes it Stand Out
- Kataan silk is one of the most easily identified fabrics due to its unique look that helps it to outstand.
- Kataan silk is also known as queen of all fabrics.
It is used in sarees, handbag or clutch.
Application & Usage
New Age Innovations
- Now a days, some of the most widely used forms of katan silk include the following:
- Katan Jal Set: Also known as Jangla, this type has floral motifs or patterns all over the fabric.
- Katan Buti Zari Resham: Katan Butidar has now create Katan Buti Zari Resham, which is the same fabric with a few style innovations to give it a more modern look.
- These innovations are mostly aesthetic and can vary from garment to garment.
- Other popular variants used these days are katan stripes and checks, which have been seen recently on the runway.
Care Instructions of Kataan Silk
- Simple wash in cold water with mild detergent.
- Do not dry fabric in direct sunlight to avoid fading of fabric.